Domain name transfer literally means changing the ownership of any given domain name. There can be several reasons for transferring a domain, some of which may include:
- One may have just purchased or sold a domain.
- One may not be getting adequate services for the money being spent
- One may need to renew the domain
At times, it costs less to pay for a transfer than renew the domain name. For instance, transfers with Gossimer start at a price as low as $7.99. You also get many additional benefits including 1 year no-charge extension, 2 free email accounts, privacy protection, unlimited mail forwards and much more.
It would be interesting to note that domain name transfers are of two different types:
- Transfers of ownership within the same registrar
- Transfer of a domain name from one registrar to another
Transfers of ownership within the same registrar
For transferring of ownership within the same registrar, the standard procedure with most registrars is as follows:
- Logging on to one’s user account
- Accessing the domain list
- Accessing the transfer domain/change account details feature (depending on the registrar)
- Entering the details of new owner (email/username)
- Completing the transfer request
After the user completes the transfer request, an email is sent to both the parties about transfer initiation. The new owner would be also sent security keys and other important information associated with the transfer of domain.
The process of transfer is completed once the new owner follows all the steps that are outlined in the mail received from registrar. These steps usually include:
- New owner needs to login to his account
- As the next step, he would need to access his account pending changes screen
- He would need to enter the security code as provided in the email he received
- The transfer process is then completed
Transfer of a domain name from one registrar to another
For transferring of a domain name from one registrar to another, one needs to perform the following steps:
- The domain name owner would need to remove the registrar lock that is placed against his domain name. One can do this by using feature called “Remove lock” of one’s administration interface.
- The new owner would log into his account at his registrar
- He would need to access the transfer domain screen and initiate the transfer of the domain
- The new owner’s registrar would then inform the current domain owner about the initiation of new transfer
- The current owner would confirm the transfer via his registrar account
- This would complete the transfer process, though it may take some hours to show up
The process of both types of transfer is mostly same with all registrars; however, you may want to contact the site owner directly or check the site to be 100% sure.