Well, when it comes to registering a name for your website it is equivalent to you christening a name for your child. A domain name is the address of your website hence it should be the one which is picked to aptly define your business and draws traffic your way. It is a process where you buy and register your website address for a certain period of time. You need to renew it yearly in order remain registered. There are countless registrars, though you need to checkout which domain names are available and which one suits you.
Dos for Domain Name
- It is considered pertinent for your website to have a keyword and location of your business in the domain name. So if you are in printing business in Clifftown, you can go for Clifftonprint.com as your domain name.
- Always get the domain name registered under your name, as the domain name should be under business/service owner’s name. For if it is in some other person’s name and if you have dispute, the person will have the administrative rights, and can shut you off. Hence, you can lose your ownership over the site.
- Never forget to renew your site’s domain name. For if you fail to do so, your website’s name can be bought by another business and you can get shut off from your site, and lose your valuable data. It is a good practice to registered for a longer duration, and set up auto-renewal payment system to ensure that the period doesn’t expire.
- There are numerous registrars, hence you should Google them, and do research on each registrar and check them out for complaints and their ToS.
- While communicating with your registrar you should use the ‘registrar’s ticketing system’ rather than the email for effective communication, as the emails may get mislaid.
Donts for Domain Names
- Do not register your domain name from your web host where they have the administrator’s rights. For if you have a dispute they are liberty to lock you out until your differences are over, and they can have an edge over you.
- Avoid using abbreviations, numbers, and dashes in your domain name. They are not good to remember. By simplifying your domain name your website traffic can increase.
- Don’t buy a domain name without checking out its past and as to whether it has any legal complexities with it. Checkout that it does not infringe any trademark issues.